Eyelid reconstruction and rejuvenation
Eyelid Surgery / Blepharoplasty
One of the hallmarks of a youthful face, is youthful eyes.
The blepharoplasty procedure involves the removal of excess skin and removal or repositioning of bulging fat from the upper and lower eyelids.
This is where Dr Snijman comes into his own, as this area of surgery has been a particular passion of Dr Snijman’s over the years, beginning as a resident in training where he honed the intricate skills required for eyelid reconstruction and rejuvenation.
Often times Dr Snijman will perform additional tightening procedures on the lower eyelid to enhance the overall result.
Simulation of Face Procedures
- Face lifting
- Temporal brow lift
- Eyelids / Blepharoplasty
- Cheek implants
- Lip augmentation
- Facial skin
What the surgery entails:
- 5A thorough preoperative assessment is performed and the operative plan is discussed
- 5The surgery is performed under general anaesthesia, but as an out patient procedure
- 5Upper eyelid incisions are placed in a predetermined fold • lower eyelid incisions are placed within the lining of the eye ( transconjunctival ) to avoid scarring and malposition of the lower lid, so common with the open approach
- 5Skin is removed and the bulging fat pockets are either trimmed or repositioned in areas of deficiency to fill out depressions or areas of fat loss
- 5The lower eyelid position is then assessed and repositioned if necessary and the lower lid skin may be tightened with a light chemical peel
- 5All the incisions are closed and a patented cooling mask is then applied to the operative field
The Recovery Phase
- This surgery is essentially painless and post operative discomfort is easily managed with oral medications
- The upper eyelids heal much quicker than the lower the eyelids, with return to normal activities by 7-10 days
- The lower eyelids are far more swollen and can take up to 2 weeks to settle down
- The upper lid sutures are removed at 7 days
- The cooling mask is used liberally for 3 weeks
- Skin treatment will commence on day 7
We are now offering secure and confidential 3D remote consultations.
Post Operative Complications & Sequelae
- Swelling and bruising are common
- A post operative collection of blood is potentially catastrophic and needs to be dealt with immediately, as ongoing pressure within the orbit can affect your eyesight
- Over resection of skin from the upper lid can result in a dry eye and an inability to protect and close the eye
- Over resection of skin from the lower lid will result in a lid malposition that will require reconstruction
- Over resection of the fat from both lids will result in a gaunt and hollowed out appearance