Correct the “batwings”
Upper Arm Lift / Brachioplasty
The Arm Lift procedure is designed to correct the “batwings” by the removal of excess flabby skin and fat from under the arms.
Every generation has a derogatory name for sagging upper arms. “Bat Wings” is what we hear them called most often at Dr Chris Snijman’s rooms.
The condition is simply loss of elasticity in the skin with age and you will be surprised at how early such conditions can start. Of course, massive weight loss is also a common reason for developing these symptoms.
Brachioplasty is sometimes combined with liposuction but is most commonly indicated in patient who have undergone a significant weight loss.
The resultant scar extends from the elbow area, up and into the armpit and will be visible if the arms are raised or turned outwards.
Simulation of Body Procedures
- Abdominoplasty / Tummy tuck
- Liposuction / Liposculpture
- Body contouring
(Only available with 3D sensor)
What the surgery entails:
- 5All markings are performed prior to the arm lift surgery and Chris will answer any questions that you have
- 5Arm lift surgery is performed under general anaesthesia
- 5Skin and underlying fat is then removed
- 5The incisions are closed with absorbable sutures, over a drain
- 5Dressings and compression garments are then applied
The Recovery Phase
- You will usually be discharged from the hospital on the same day
- Your drains will usually be removed at 48 hours
- Postoperative visit and wound inspection on Day 5
- Initiation of scar therapy on Day 5
- Compression garments at night for 1 month
- Walking as soon as possible
- Return to work at 1 week
- Normal activities of daily living at 2 weeks
- Normal exercise at 6 weeks
We are now offering secure and confidential 3D remote consultations.
Post Operative Complications & Sequelae
- Adverse reactions to anaesthesia
- Bleeding or fluid collection
- Wound infection and suture abscesses
- Poor wound healing and scarring
- Decreased sensation initially
- Damage to the underlying structures
- Unsatisfactory result/ dissatisfied patient